Monday, March 26, 2012

Life in Sutton, Cambridgeshire

Jackie
Sylvia and Richard at Bury St Edmund
I have been staying here with Sylvia in her comfy little semi-detached house since the 27th February. Sylvia suffered from some bad health before Christmas and so had been staying with her daughter, Jackie, until the day we reunited after more than two years. She and I then set off for Sutton. I immediately won her heart by boiling some potatoes and presenting her with a cold salad. So our time together has gone on. Between Jackie, Roxanne, Sylvia and her son Richard, and their loved ones, our lives have been a pleasant mix of interesting outings, often with lovely food, once with exquisite swans, and always involving beautiful villages. I am amazed at the number of these things the British have packed in to this tiny space. I have been in 3 areas during my stay and haven't scratched the surface!

Roxanne and Sylvia at Cambridge Regional College
We went to Outen Broad for afternoon tea; Ely for lunch at the Almonry followed by tree buying for Jackie; an early arrival for the afternoon session of The Exotic Marigold Hotel; my birthday lunch at The Windmill at Orton; swan feeding at Welney(more later); Roxanne's birthday lunch at the Cambridge Regional College; lunch at Wilburton with Allan and Sheila; Bury St Edmund with Richard; Mepal for U3A lunch with Maggie; trip to Holywell to see marvellous cottages and then lunch at another Windmill to try Dean's 5 star rated burger http://burgercritic.blogspot.com/ ; fabulous garden centre near Soham then lunch at a pub on the Ouse; two days of delightful touring to places like Outwell, Upwell, Coveney and lunch at the Anchor Inn on The Gault. How lucky am I with such good friends. I will miss them and wish I could just drop in sometimes for a cuppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment